Artist: Estonian Festival Orchestra & Paavo Jarvi
Title: Shostakovich: Symphony No. 6 & Sinfonietta
Genre: Classical, Vocal
Release Date: 2018
Quality: High-Fidelity FLAC Stereo 24bit/96kHz
The Jarvi family is a pillar of Estonian musical life. Paavo is now director of the Prnu Festival, held in August each year, which brings together the finest Estonian musicians, joined by the cream of European orchestras: members of the Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie, the Berliner Philharmoniker, the Orchestre de Paris etc. Paavo Jarvi (recently appointed music director of one of the world’s leading formations, the Tonhalle Orchester Zrich) frequents all these instrumentalists regularly, and now works alongside them, ‘unpretentiously, in a warm, collegial manner’ for a series of highly convivial concerts on the shores of the Baltic: ‘magical and incredibly appealing’, says Die Welt.
Paavo Jarvi has now decided to record with this outstanding orchestra. For this first release, he has chosen Shostakovich, a key figure of the twentieth century, for both the region and the Jarvi family: Paavo used to meet him as a child when the composer came to visit his father Neeme! The programme consists of Symphony no.6 and the Sinfonietta op.110b, a rare arrangement of the String Quartet no.8 by Abram Stasevich for string orchestra and timpani. This first release in 2018 will also coincide with the centenary of the independence of the Estonian Republic and a tour that will take the orchestra to several major European cities.
- Symphony No. 6 in B Minor, Op. 54: I. Largo – 18:23
- Symphony No. 6 in B Minor, Op. 54: II. Allegro – 6:11
- Symphony No. 6 in B Minor, Op. 54: III. Presto – 6:48
- Sinfonietta (Quartet No. 8), Op. 110b: I. Largo – 6:06
- Sinfonietta (Quartet No. 8), Op. 110b: II. Allegro molto – 2:58
- Sinfonietta (Quartet No. 8), Op. 110b: III. Allegro – 4:50
- Sinfonietta (Quartet No. 8), Op. 110b: IV. Largo – 6:06
- Sinfonietta (Quartet No. 8), Op. 110b: V. Largo – 5:04